Monday, October 20, 2008

At Oma and Papa's

Wade is finally sitting up on his own! Jack learned to sit up while visiting my parents when they lived in Utah and Mom wanted to teach Wade while he was visiting. He is still a little unstable but we are getting the hang of it. The more tired he is, the more he topples.

Before we arrived in Washington my Mom had captured a few slugs and had told Jack that she had a surprise for him when he got to their house. Jack thought the slugs where great and spent all week searching for more slugs every time it rained. Oma and Jack got lots of books about slugs at the library and read all of them. He loved taking them out of the jar and putting them into a plastic dish pan while Oma and Jack cleaned out the jar and gave them new food. One night we got so occupied with dinner that we forgot the slugs were out and left them in the dish pan. In the morning Jack couldn't find the slugs anywhere!! We looked EVERYWHERE and we could not find them. Finally, around 10 am one slug came crawling out from under the stove and probably 10 min. later the other slug followed!!! Slugs need water so they were pretty shriveled up but we put them back into the plastic tub and sprayed them with water. Jack was so relieved that the slugs had not died!!!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

krista said...

Slug Poem I

The slugs think that they are
being intellectual

They would like to wear glasses but they don't have ears

They are holding a convention downstairs on my carpet

They tell me that the 'mark of a genius is a silver trail'

The slugs think that it is likely
that I'll salt them

I don't think I will -
not just yet

(written by nicola c grant)

After hosting slugs in my home I may never be able to salt, cut in half, or squish one again. At least not without looking in its eyes (on the tips of it's antennae) and wondering if it is Junior, Squirt (the little tiny one), Lacey (The middle sized one), or Kazooin (the biggest fat one).

It's the biologist in me...(also wanted to be sure my grandson wasn't afraid to touch something like a slug. I'm not sure his Mom will encourage it...at least not without thoroughly washing his hands afterwards.)

:)Mom/Oma

The Thompson's said...

Follow up...

Jack and I did some experimenting and we learned that:
1. Slugs love carrots (& they leave bright, orange, little tiny turds all over the jar afterwards.

2. They really love slices of cucumbers ("Oma! They ate the whole pickle!!!")However they leave the entire green skin behind & their terds are not nearly as pretty.

3.More recent lab findings indicate that they also enjoy raw pumpkin

That's all,

Oma & Jack